Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spaghetti Bolognaise - Failsafe, Wheat, Dairy, Soy, Egg, Nut free.

Spaghetti Bolognaise.


A dish we thought we'd leave behind on our Failsafe journey. People played with the idea, and came up with a different kinds of sauce, we all call it No-Mato Sauce. The kids love it, I tolerate it (I usually have a tomato one for dh and I). It's a bit different to the traditional, not quite so red, if you want to recreate that, just add half a beetroot, but my kids prefer the texture of it without.

When we moved to wheat free, our usual spaghetti night went to the wayside again. At the Gluten Free Expo in Melbourne this year, I picked up a few different selections, much cheaper then normal, so I had a chance to experiment. This has been my favorite one so far, it's just corn flour and water. I was pretty dubious at first, but it tastes, and feels much like wheat pasta. Has no real taste, so reflects the sauces well. I've seen it pop up in Safeway/Woolworths now, it's also available at a discount at www.sprinkles.com.au.





The corn pasta cooked up, looks a lot like wheat pasta, yeah?



No-Mato Sauce
http://www.cookingforoscar.com/2012/02/01/no-tomato-sauce-nectarine-and-sour-cream-cake/
  • 1 cup Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed) I find the Edgell brand the best for this sauce
  • 2 large Pear halves in syrup (approximately 150g)
  • 1 cup - 1.5 cups Water
  • 1 teaspoon citric acid
  • 1-2 tablespoons white sugar, brown sugar, rapadura, or 15 drops od stevia
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick celery (trimmed and chopped)
  • 4 Spring onions (chopped)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 10 Safron threads - Optional

  • Add all ingredients to the Thermomix, blitz on speed 7, 10 seconds.

    Cook, 30 minutes, speed 3, 90 degrees.
    Blitz, speed 9, 1 minute.


    Serve on Pasta, or cook up with some canneloni beans for baked beans (these are a firm favorite here), just heat in a saucepan for a few minutes.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment