Saturday, October 20, 2012

Our Favoite Pizza Base

Before we gave up wheat, ,this was our favorite base. It's failsafe, dairy, egg and soy free.

Even though we don't make it any more, I'll share the secrets of our perfect pizza....
(And drool at what is likely my favorite meal.... that I don't eat anymore.... wahhhhh)

Pizza Base:
300 grams warm water
2 teaspoons yeast
2 teaspoons sugar

Add to thermomix, set 5 minutes, 37 degrees, spoon soft speed.
When it's finished, leave to sit for 5-10 minutes to get the yeast all nice and working hard for the money.

Add in 500 grams plain flour, 4 good pinches of salt. Give it a quick whiz to combine, set to knead for 5 minutes, then you'll have this:

Pop in to a bowl, or silpmat, cover with clingwrap and leave in a warm spot for half an hour, it should double in size.

Punch it down, roll it out, you can get 2 bases from this, but when we're greedy, we do 1, mwahahahaha!

Roll it out (add flour to make it non sticky), and place on your tray, I let it rise again for 15 or so minutes while I prep ingredients.

Top, and bake at 220, top shelf, 15 minutes, or until ready.

Enjoy the best pizza of.your.life.


We are simple creatures, cheese and bacon pizza is hubbies favorite:


My tips to the perfect pizza:
Buy the yeast in the red canister.
Using plain ol' homebrand flour works perfectly fine.
Subbing out 20 grams of water for oil improves the base also.
If you don't have a nice mozzarella already, I recommend the Pantalica Cheese Co Mozzarella. Available in Coles and Safeway, it gives the best result!
I make my own pizza sauce, a jar of passata simmered with salt, pepper, worchteshire, brown sugar/rapadura, chilli flakes, oregano, rosemary, parsley. That's honestly all you need!
I use a tray with holes in it, toped with baking paper, perfect base, every time.

I hope you use these tips to make the best pizzas out there :)

1 comment: