Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chocolate Chip Biscuits

I'm going to throw it out there. My BEST allergy safe cookie. It's been a long time in the making, it's taken me many trials and errors to get the right flours, the right textures, the right TASTES! But we're here.

My Failsafe, Dairy, Soy, Wheat, Gluten, Egg, Nut Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.


Creating a Failsafe, dairy, soy and egg free choc-chip bickies seemed hard, but was actually easy, compared to nutting out one also free of wheat, sugar and nuts. *Now* we have a dilemma.

Well, I've got it solved, well, everything but refined sugar. I find the 'perfect' crisp, yet a little chewy choc chip biscuit relies on a mix of brown and white sugar. I am still continuing to work on a sugar free recipe, and once I have it, I will be sure to share!

These taste just like regular biscuits, I am very happy with the taste and texture, and also no aftertaste. They don't leave your palette dry like a lot of gluten free biscuits do.

This is easily made by hand, or a stand mixer, but I'm supplying Thermomix instructions.

A run down of the ingredients. Ghee gives them an amazing flavor, do try it if you can. It creates a wonderful butter taste and texture. It doesn't contain the casein protein that sets most reactions off, but can contain trace amounts. Test with caution. But a fantastic addition to your cooking, if you can tolerate it. They still taste wonderful with Nuttelex (I use the full fat).
Sugars are just plain old brown and white from the supermarket.
I prefer Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste, available over at the Crio Bru website. You can use anything though, but please keep it to at least an extract, essence is just nasty!
No Egg, my binder. You can use an egg yolk, but I actually prefer the no egg. It has instructions for ratios on the back of the packet.
Besan or Chickpea flour, they are the same thing. I buy mine from The Biomed Cafe, it has no nasty, grassy aftertaste that I've found some other brands to have. It is a high protein flour, lots of nutrients!
Potato Starch, you can buy this from many online places, and you might even be able to buy it locally. Just be sure it's STARCH and not flour, they are two very different things.
I enjoy MooFree Chocolate, but have just tried some of the EnjoyLife mini chocolate chips (also at the biomed cafe), and they are my preferred choc chip for these cookies. We only use a few tablespoons to give them the look, but not overload on amines. You can use whichever 'chips' you are allowed, or leave them out, they are a great base cookie.

This is my own creation, so please, when sharing, link back to my blog. It is very new, and I'm sharing one of my biggies here :)



150 grams of Nuttelex or Ghee
90 grams brown sugar
70 grams white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 portion of 'No Egg'
180grams Besan/Chickpea flour
40grams Potato Starch
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
Desired Chocolate Chip Pieces



Add Nuttelex, sugars and vanilla to bowl, mix 60 seconds, speed 4.
Add the no egg, mix 20 seconds, speed 4.
Add Chickpea Flour, Potato Starch and Baking Powder, mix 15 seconds, speed 4. Set to Interval, 45 seconds, adding in choc chips half way through. (We use just a few tablespoons to keep amine levels low).

Roll into teaspoon sized balls, flattening slightly. Leave room on the tray to spread. Bake for around 10 minutes, 160 degrees, fanforced oven.
I start my first batch on the bottom shelf, prepare next tray, then the first tray goes to the top, new tray to the bottom. This drastically changes the results of my cookies, and I hope it's a tip that will help you perfect yours!

Cook until very lightly golden. They will be done before you think they are, as the bottoms brown quicker then the tops. They will actually look under done, this is when you want to pull them out! They will be puffy. As they cool, they will come down, and form a crisp outside, and a slightly chewy inside.

Let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. And start rolling again! I get around 40 cookies from a batch.


Please let me know if you try it, and how you go.
Thanks for reading along, see you back again soon! :)

1 comment:

  1. These are in the oven. They look and smell divine. My variations are I used a bit of white rice flour as I didn't have enough besan and I used carob buttons. Shame I don't get to taste them because the carob has soy. Probably a good thing really as they would be all GONE!

    ReplyDelete